CHOOSING A DETOX KIT
Not every detox is created equally. Although a detox can address multiple aspects of health, each detox kit is tailored more specifically to one health issue more than others.
Below is a list of detox kits and the unique health issues they address.
Heavy Metal Focused Detox Kits
• Avoid alcohol and any OTCs (unless prescribed), especially Tylenol (acetaminophen).
• Avoid exposure to other toxins and chemicals to decrease body burden. Avoid plastics and many commercial personal care products such as Grecian Formula (contains lead), lipstick (contains aluminum), standard deodorants (aluminum), even cleaning products and artists’ paints. Use natural items including skincare and hair care products.
• Evaluate heavy metal toxicity (a biological dentist can assess for proper mercury amalgam removal); consider testing for SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms) in detoxification enzymes such MTHFR (methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase), MS (methionine synthase), COMT (catechol-O-methyltransferase), methyltransferases, SOD, NAT, STM1, GSTP1 (glutathione transferases), Apo E 4 (apolipoprotein E 4), and/or impaired metallothionein function.
• Consider using a high quality water filtration system such as the Berkey water filter or reverse osmosis.
• Engage in movement every day to assist the organs and lymph system with elimination
• Avoid pesticides, herbicides and chemicals by eating organic fruits and vegetables.
• Avoid NutraSweet and other artificial sweeteners. Replace sugar with stevia or the polyol sugar xylitol; avoid high fructose corn syrup which contains mercury.
• Increase consumption of organic fruits high in vitamin C, vegetables high in carotenes, green vegetables, and especially cruciferous vegetables that supply beneficial isothiocyanates (or their precursor glucosinolates) and stimulate the bitter receptors to modulate healthy gut bacteria and assist with detoxification.
• Increase flavonoid-rich foods like apples, celery, onion and garlic, which may assist with inflammation and immune support.
• Emphasize omega-3 fats (salmon, mackerel, trout, herring, sardines) and omega-9 fats (olive oil, olives, almonds, hazelnuts, avocados, macadamia oil and coconut oil) to help control inflammation.
• Choose wild-caught fish rather than farm-raised fish.
• Avoid eating fish that are known for their high levels of heavy metals, such as swordfish, orange roughy, shark, king mackerel, tile fish and sea bass.
• Eat foods rich in magnesium, including nuts, seeds and leafy greens.
• Consider fermented foods such as natto, miso, and tempeh for optimizing microbiota health.
• Complement foods with herbs like cilantro, parsley, watercress, and fennel.
• Drink at least 8 glasses of purified water per day; include medicinal herbal teas that contain cleansing herbs such as dandelion, milk thistle, red clover and yellow dock.
• Consume the following sulfur containing foods frequently, such as garlic, broccoli, onions, cauliflower, and eggs.
• Increase dietary fiber to 50 grams total or more per day to prevent heavy metal gut re-absorption and/or if constipation occurs.
Gut Focused Detox Kits
Liver Focused Detox Kits
Metabolic Health Detox Kits